Mr. Lowry, newly arrived from Ireland, came out to the Marshall farm on 18 Sideroad at the edge of Watford one Christmas, with other relatives. He met Isabella Marshall (1847–). Her parents were Margaret Brown and William John Marshall, who came from Ireland to Canada on their wedding trip in 1842. Mr. Lowry and Isabella married a year after they met, and moved to Ailsa Craig.
(from various clippings)
Clifford Lucas (1893–1993) was one of five sons born to Absalom Lucas and his wife Mary Kelly. The Lucas family was one of the first to settle in Brooke Twp. in 1835. The family’s origins were in Ireland. The Kelly family, also from Ireland, settled in Brooke in approximately the same year. Alexander Kelly (Cliff’s grandfather) had married Mary Mitchell and they had settled on Lot 21, Con. 6 SER Warwick in 1844.
(submitted by Barbara Luckham and Sue McKay)
William Luckham, born in Devonshire, England (1795–1848) joined the 43rd Regiment of Foot in 1814. He was on the battlefield of Waterloo the morning after Napoleon and Wellington fought. In 1821 he joined the 15th Regiment of Foot, and 2 years later married Ann Fardy (1804–1874) of Ireland. In 1827 he was posted to Canada, accompanied by his wife and child, and was soon promoted to sergeant.
Andrew Macalpin came to Canada with his wife and family in 1822, settling in Lanark County, Ont. He came to Lambton County in 1835, where his son William (c.1811–1878) had already settled in 1832.
(submitted by Julia Geerts)
Donald Alexander MacKenzie was the son of Donald Gordon Cameron MacKenzie and Vera Irene Aitken of Warwick Village. He married Vicki Williams, the daughter of Leo James Williams and Dorothy Kathleen Maitland (1919–1998).
(submitted by Jo MacKenzie)
William and Catherine (Grant) MacKenzie came to Canada from Scotland in the early 1850s. They traveled on a sailing ship that took six weeks to reach Canada. A baby son a few months old died just before they docked and Catherine kept the body in her traveling bag so that he could be buried on land. She could not bear to have the body buried at sea.
James Maidment’s (1846–) father Henry came to Warwick Twp. from Wiltshire, England in 1833. Henry built a log cabin on Lot 3, Con. 4. Henry was more interested in clearing the roads of Warwick and Plympton Twp. and left the clearing of the land to his sons. Henry was in the militia during the 1837–1838 Rebellion. Another of his endeavours was the first lime kiln to be built in Warwick Twp. Lime was used to manufacture brick.
(from Main and newspaper clippings)
John Main (1909–1999) married Florence McRorie (1916–). Florence and John lived on the Egremont Rd., Warwick Twp. They had two children, Margaret (Beth, 1951–) and Phillip (1952–).
Norman Allen Mansfield (1916–1994) married Mary Garson (1918–) in 1937. He was the son of Alma Elizabeth McRorie (1885–1966) and Walter Allen Mansfield (1890–1968) of Warwick Twp. Norm and Mary had four children: Ronald Garson (1939–), Jean Yvonne (1941–), Catherine Elizabeth (1946–), and Janet Marie (1953–).
(submitted by Russel and Jane Marrison)
Frederick Marrison and his wife Margaret Brassington Marrison immigrated to Canada in 1914. Family lore states that they were on one of the last, if not the last, passenger ships to leave England before the outbreak of World War I. They initially went to Thedford where they stayed with Fred’s brother Preston. Then they purchased the family farm, the west ¼ of Lot 9, Con. 7 NER, from Angus Campbell in 1922. They also purchased the property next door, the east ¼ of Lot 8, Con. 7 NER.